"I see amazing potential with so many empty spaces like rooftops, balconies, and vacant lots. It's exciting to see the abundance of urban gardens and green spaces that it made me realize the vital role honeybees will serve as residents of Detroit as well."
Bees in the D is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to create a cooperative effort between residents, schools, organizations, and businesses in the city of Detroit and Southeast Michigan to contribute to both the health of honey bee colonies and the education of their importance to our environment.
What We've Achieved
- We maintain an apiary at Oakland University to educate about honeybees and their conservation.
- Advised Detroit's City Planners about writing ordinances in favor of beekeeping within city and urban communities.
- Partner with local businesses to use our local honey in their menus and products.
- Place hives within community gardens to increase crop yields for enjoyment of the community.
- Placed 4 honey bee hives atop Cobo Center's Living Green Roof.
- Present to neighborhood groups to ease misconceptions and apprehension of community hives.
- Work with local children's groups, boy-scouts, girl-scouts, LEGO leagues.
- Held interactive presentations at nature centers and DNR about pollinator gardens, beekeeping, and other pollinators.
- Organize honey harvests to engage the public and educate about the process.